Friday, March 4, 2011

Home Improvements: LIVING ROOM

Brian and I have already done a good bit of 'improvement' to the living room area since we have been married. I wish I would have taken a picture of it the week before our wedding as a good reference.

The room is pretty long yet a bit narrow. Brian and his roommates had 2 loveseats and a leather recliner- that were either purchased from Goodwill or had been donated to him. The wall decor consisted of a large University of Georgia flag pinned to the wall, and pictures of Tom Cruise in Top Gun and Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator. 100% Bachelor Pad.

Post wedding, the loveseats have either been retired to the bonus room or donated back to Goodwill and the pictures have given to Brian's brother who is in college.

We have recently given this room a little more attention, and the small additions have made a big difference.

Over our sofa we had a large clock hanging. I really loved this concept but it just wasn't the right size.

We found this picture at World Market and the yellow pillows from Target.

The area behind the sofa towards the front door was lacking spazz. I could not figure out what I wanted to do here. A plant? A mirror? We found this gem of a case from Hobby Lobby.
I love how the doors slide open and closed. Now, what to put in it?? And the clock that was over the sofa was moved here. I like this much better.

Brian originally got the entertainment center/stand from Goodwill back well before we meet. We have been wanting to replace it but that wall is slightly narrow and did not want to risk 'boxing' in that area with a large entertainment center with the sides, even though we love those.

We found this guy a few weeks ago from Home Goods.

I love bookcases and knew I wanted one, but it had to be open in the back and sides. We found one at American Signature Furniture a few months back that I feel in love with. My handy man put it together with ease.
But decorating is not a strong point of mine. I think it could still use some work.

To really see the changes this room has undergone, here is a picture of the room when Brian purchased the house.

And this is what it looks like now.

There are still a few more areas in this room that needs some attention, but I feel we have made some major progress. Suggestions for what to do over the tv area?

3 comments:

  1. It looks great!! I can't wait to see it in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great Meghan! I think you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bookcase. You did a great job! The pillows tie in the painting perfectly.

    ReplyDelete