Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Project Open Hand

This past Saturday the Couples Small Group Brian and I just recently joined through Buckhead Church volunteered with Project Open Hand. It is an incredible organization that strives to meet the community nutrition needs for people living with HIV/AIDS, the homebound/critically ill, and seniors. We began our morning at Chickfila to fill our bellies before car pooling to Open Hand. Once there we were given a short training lesson and was shown an inspiring video explaining Open Hand and the vast impact it has on our community. Our group was split into 3 cars, each car given a list of about 10-12 addresses to deliver meals to. Not all clients received the same meal, which had me a little nervous, and we had to be very careful to ensure we gave the right client the correct meal. Brian, Patrick, Jenn and I were in the car together and we had a blast. God truly used this to show us how very fortunate we are. I cannot imagine being dependant upon someone else to delivery my meal. It goes without saying that I would not be as picky of an eater as I am now. Our group then meet back up together and shared our stories together over lunch at Panera. We definitely encountered a few scary situations, but most turned to very comic end results. Cell phones being confused as guns, a little old lady who sounded more like the devil one minute then a happy child the very next, and hair-dos that at first glance looks like snakes but actually just a really bad case of 'bed-head.' Thanks to my small group for organizing this and have us all serve together.

Here are a few pictures of our lovely hairnets we had to wear anytime we were near the food while being cooked, stored or bagged.


1 comment: